JOB: Mendocino Presbyterian Church Music Minister.
JOB TITLE: Music Minister.
ACCOUNTABILITY: Serving the Worship Committee working directly with Head of Staff. Reports to Head of Staff and Personnel Committee of Session.
DESCRIPTION: Part-time with required Sunday Services and a fixed weekly rehearsal schedule. Historically the choir takes July off due to MPC’s involvement with the Mendocino Music Festival.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Music Minister is a talented, inspirational, engaging and industrious music leader committed to further develop, lead, and grow the MPC music program. Music serves as an integral part of MPC’s identity, vision, and ministry embracing the full spectrum of spiritually enriching music. The Music Minister supports and inspires the vibrant and growing community of faith and is committed to MPC’s mission to be welcoming of all people, creating relevant and authentic worship engaging the heart and mind and letting service to others transform who we are in God’s world.
- Attend and participate in weekly staff meetings, rehearsals and worship services.
- Play piano/organ for Sunday services and rehearsals.
- Support key services throughout the church year including: Advent, Christmas Eve, Reformation Sunday, Lent, and Easter services.
- Work with Office Manager to coordinate bulletins.
- Responsible for advertising musical events, concerts, workshops, etc.
- Ensure coverage for all worship involving music when not participating. (i.e. sick, vac.)
- Arrange for maintenance and tuning of all musical instruments.
- Ensure proper care and storage of music supplies and resources (including robes).
- Oversee timely licensing reporting process of all copyrighted worship materials (including maintaining annual fees, on-line reporting, and documentation).
- Prepare annual budget requests reflecting the needs for the total music program including printed music and supplies, musical instrument maintenance, training, substitute musicians and guest musician expenses.
- Coordinate with Mendocino Music Festival each July.
- Evident Christian commitment.
- Assist in fostering the Lead Guitar Program.
- Foster relationships with children and youth offering youth choir opportunities.
- Generate energy for experimenting with other vocal and instrumental worship.
- Professional or Educational work in the field of choral music.
- Experience with choral directing and musicianship.
- Knowledge and support of the Protestant/Presbyterian music tradition.
- Experience or willingness to work with all ages: children/youth/adult choirs.
- Experience or ability to work with instrumental ensembles.
- Enthusiastic in creating an engaging, diverse, and vibrant music program.
- Excellent communication skills.
- An ability to work well with children, youth, staff, parents, volunteers, church members, and local music community.
- Highly motivated, self-starter with a strong commitment to excellence.
- Team player, with the ability to build relationships, and thrives in collaborative work environments.
- Excellent organizational, administrative, and time management skills, strong attention to detail.
- Develop Advent Children’s Pageant through outreach with the Rainbow Preschool students and families.
- Opportunity to develop music camps for youth and adults at the Christian camp … additional funding for such leadership coming directly from camp.
- Identify contacts and build relationships with regional musicians and groups through the development of the “Lift Every Voice” fund.